The course is given in the second semester, 3 hours each week plus 1
Wednesday 12-13 in Dan David 002
Thursday 10-12 in Dan David 001
Sunday 13-14 in Shenkar Physics room 104
Monday 16-17 in Ornstein room 111
- The gamma function and its relatives.
- Bessel functions, their properties and applications.
- Other special functions: Hermite, Laguerre, Chebyshev polynomials.
- Asymptotic analysis of integrals and of differential
equations. Asymptotic series. Steepest descent.
- Singular perturbations of differential equations.
Boundary layer theory. WKB.
- Introduction to group theory. Lie groups and Lie algebras.
- G. B. Arfken and H. J. Weber, Mathematical Methods for
- J. Mathews and R. L. Walker, Mathematical Methods for
- C. M. Bender and S. Orszag, Advanced Mathematical Methods
for Scientists and Engineers
- More material at Moodle
Other recommended books:
- F. B. Hildebrand, Advanced Calculus for Applications
- M. Morse and H. Feshbach, Methods of Theoretical Physics
- M. Tinkham, Group Theory and Quantum Mechanics
- H.F. Jones, Groups, Representations, and Physics